Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Adaption

We are all constantly adapting to our surroundings as time passes.  From a bike to a car, a crib to a bed, a change is residence or new born sibling we make the best of what we are given.  Yet, there comes a time in one's life when we have control of what surroundings we want to adapt to.  There are several examples of this choice and one that I live with every day was my choice in school.  As a result I find myself adapting to a University situated near a busy city thousands of miles away from home.  I am adapting to an environment I had only previewed for two days at best.  While many would have called my decision rash, there was something inside of me that knew that where I am now was the place for me. 

 

One semester later I am still convinced that I have made the right choice, though I still adapt to changes every single day.  In fact, as I write this right now I feel empty inside.  There haven’t been many significant changes however, I returned home from the winter recess and have returned to my same friends, my wonderful girlfriend, and the same residence hall.  Yet, despite all of this something is missing.  I do not feel that any of us have changed but it has been something that has been on my mind.  Perhaps as the cold weather sweeps this part of the nation people are doomed to feel an empty cold bitterness, though that is probably the West Coast naivety that is within me.  No, I do not quite know what is missing yet but I hope I find it out soon.  Things never seemed to return to the way they were before the break, the routine I had come to know is now gone, and I find myself having to adapt once again. 

 

Is life all about adapting?  Will this cycle ever end?  At times I feel like I want this cycle to end but I know I would bore quickly.  Having experienced this feeling so much I fear that I may be doomed to wander the world in and out of people’s lives, never being able to settle.  Is it a life I look forward to?  That is a question I am asking myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment